Tracton got its name from the Cistercian Monastic Foundation of 1224.
Whitland Abbey in Wales was the mother house of Tracton so the Cork foundation was called,
’De Albo Tractu’ – from the White lands.
The Latin name of the Abbey founded here was De Bello Portu.
Ringabella Bay was the landing harbour for the monks.
Our main project in recent years has been the Restoration and extension of the Georgian Schoolhouse in Minane Bridge.
This building, the Knocknamanagh Old School, has become the hub of community activity and is the headquarters of the Tracton Community Council.
Other projects of historical interest are
- the old graveyards preservation and clean –up
- Information signage in the villages of Minane Bridge and Nohoval
- A public amenity walks in the Minane River Valley.
Every month for the past 32 years a Newssheet is produced. This is a hefty publication and covers all the activities and information on all the Clubs, groups and schools in the area.
It also features an article of local historical interest.
Old photographs of local interest are also featured in this publication.
Chairperson, Community Council, Kathleen Dempsey. 021 4887161
E mail; KOSToffice@gmail.com
Tracton Newssheet; email@example.com
Administrator at Knocknamanagh Old School Centre; 086 0711910