The National Monument
Cork’s National Monument at the Grand Parade was erected in 1906 due to the fundraising of the Cork Young Ireland Society.
The sculptor was John Francis Davis.
The monument commemorates great Irish patriots, particularly those involved in the risings of 1798 and 1803 (United Irishmen and Robert Emmet), 1848 (Young Irelanders) and 1867 (Fenians).
Several lists of patriots’ names are recorded on the monument and the 5 statues are: Mother Erin, Wolfe Tone (Leader of 1798 Rebellion), Peter O’Neill Crowley (Fenians) Thomas Davis (Young Irelander) and Michael Dwyer (1798).
Part of the inscription reads:
‘To perpetuate the Memory of the Gallant Men of 1798, 1803, 1848 and 1867
who fought and died in the wars of Ireland to recover her sovereign independence and to inspire the youth of our country
to follow in their patriotic footsteps and imitate their heroic example.
And righteous men will make our land A Nation Once Again’.
The monument was unveiled by the patriot Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa, originally from Rosscarbery, County Cork. In 1856, he established the Phoenix National and Literary Society, which merged with the Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB), founded in 1858 in Dublin.
He was imprisoned for a long period due to his alleged involvement in the Fenian Brotherhood and was later exiled.
When he visited Cork in November 1904, he was awarded the Freedom of the City.
Please note event at National Monument Sunday September 25th Grand Parade 1200-1300